Vitamin C has been used for hundreds of years to heal serious diseases.
Thanks to developments in science and technology over the last 100 years there is evidence confirming the healing and health restoring properties of vitamin C [ ascorbic acid].
The big debate now is how much do you need to take to be healthy and or combat diseases.
The pharmaceutical industry and the medical profession has consistently denied the healing properties of vitamin C based upon the results of clinical trials which were setup to fail due to the tiny quantities of vitamin C used in the trials.
This is about how useful quantities of vitamin C can be taken to heal disease and maintain good health naturally without the awful side effects of prescription drugs and over the counter medicines.
Is vitamin C safe?
Vitamins Are Safe
No one has ever died from an overdose of vitamins. This is data from US poison control center annual data. See :
Doctor Yourself, pp372-374, AW Saul, Ph.d, Basic Health Publications,2013
“Over a twenty-eight-year period, vitamin supplements have been alleged to have caused the deaths of a total of 11 people in the USA.
A new analysis of US Poison control center annual report data indicates that there have, in fact, been no deaths whatsoever from vitamins… none at all, in the 28 years since
such reports have been available.”
If anyone claims that someone has died from the effects of taking vitamins it is a lie.
A Deficit of Essential Vitamins =Poor Health
A daily intake of the essential vitamins will keep you healthy and energetic. Its natural nutrition and healing that works.
The majority of vitamins are water-soluble and are not stored by your body so this is one of the main reasons why daily vitamins are essential for good health.
It’s a small daily cost for good health and a fatigue free life.
The other necessary thing for your good health is to drink a minimum of 6 to 8 glasses of water per day. Click on the link below to go to a post on the importance of good hydration for good health.
Diseases caused by vitamin and trace element deficiencies
Diseases Of Malnutrition – acknowledged by the medical profession and the government. Verified by science
- Pellagra – symptoms start with fatigue and depression and can grow to dermatitis, diarrhea, psychosis, dementia and death. The cause is a deficit of the B vitamins and iron
- Arthritis – joint pain and swelling and loss of bone mass. Leads to fine and large fractures. Cause is a deficit of vitamin C, vitamin D and calcium and magnesium. Low energy, fatigue and depression are also symptoms.
- SAD – seasonal affective disorder or depression. Cause by a vitamin D deficit especially during the winter and spring.
- Scurvy – the body is unable to make collagen to repair itself. Loss of teeth, joint, function and bleeding via damaged arteries and blood vessels. This can be undiagnosed at first until the symptoms become worse. It initially is fatigue, pain and lack of energy. The cause is a deficit of vitamin C which prevents the body from repairing itself and in particular the manufacture of collagen – required for body repair and cell replacement.
- Rickets. A disease that affects children in the main. A deficit of vitamin D, vitamin B, magnesium and calcium causes fragile bones and deformation of the bones.
- Arrhythmia – uneven heart beat. A deficit of magnesium cause muscle spasms including the heart muscles. Magnesium is used by every cell in your body and a deficit causes ill health – cramps and leg twitches are a symptom along with irregular heart beat. This causes stress on the cardiovascular system and loss of flexibility in the smooth muscle of the arteries.
- Selenium is an important mineral. It’s necessary for many processes, A lack of selenium may cause
- hypothyroid syndrome – not enough thyroid hormone is produced for proper metabolism
- cell replacement requires selenium
- reproduction – causes infertility. Farmers provide it as a supplement to stock to avoid this serious issue.
- protection from infection – the immune systems needs this element to work effectively
- skin problems
- depression and fatigue.
- Zinc is another key element needed by all cells in the body to function well and a shortage often manifests as skin problems.
- Hypothyroidism. The thyroid gland can produce enough thyroid hormone for the body to remain healthy. Symptoms are fatigue, depression and goiter. Prolonged deficit of thyroid hormone leads to malfunction of the immune system and lack of protection against infections both viral and bacterial. This can be cured with additional iodine plus vitamin supplementation with C, B complex, D and multivitamin and mineral supplementation.
- Beriberi is a disease caused by a vitamin B-1 deficiency – thiamine deficiency. Beriberi affects the heart and circulatory system. Beriberi can cause heart failure. It also causes eye damage.
- tardive dyskinesia – involuntary shaking and or movement of limbs and head. Taking vitamin B3 and manganese has been found to reduce or remove the symptoms completely.
- Dementia. Supplementation with vitamin B complex, vitamin B3 plus selenium and zinc plus proper hydration has been found effective to reduce and prevent this condition.
- Metal toxicity. Most common are lead and aluminum. Vitamin B complex, vitamin B3, vitamin C and chelation therapy are effective for detox.
There is growing evidence that malnutrition – a deficit of key vitamins and minerals – is a cause of serious illnesses including the ones listed above which have been acknowledged by government medical authorities.
Research has discovered that the herpes virus has been found to be a factor in causing artery damage in animals and birds.
There is no doubt that when the body is malnourished it is more susceptible to infections [ both viral and bacterial] and suffers from physical damage to cells and organs and structure.
Oxidation is simply the effect of oxygen reacting with matter. In our bodies it affects all of our cells. It’s part of living however it can be reduced by taking anti-oxidants – vitamin C is a proven anti-oxidant.
What are the healing benefits of vitamin C?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body and is used by the body for healing, repairs and replacement of cells. It is essential for the healthy function of each cell in our bodies. Our body needs vitamin C to produce enough collagen to be healthy. Collagen is used by our body to
- create muscles
- create ligaments
- give elasticity to skin
- repair damage to the inner lining of arteries and veins
- proper functioning of the immune system for the repair and replacement of cells.
It has been proven that vitamin C in large enough doses is very effective against infections and viruses. It helps the body’s immune system to resist and defeat both bacteria and viruses. Go to the website orthomolecular medicine for more information, science and clinical notes about this and see the bibliography below. Vitamin C does effectively help your immune system to fight bacteria and viruses.
Prior to vaccines being available doctors used injections of sodium ascorbate to cure pneumonia, polio, influenza and tetanus.
The problem with conventional medicine research and trials is that insufficient quantities of vitamin C have been used in trials and thus healing outcomes not obtained.
The trials of vitamin C were useless because only very small quantities were used in the trials.
Currently there is much research and scientific investigation into the healing properties of vitamin C because it has been found to be effective and does not have any of the bad side effects of modern drugs.
Taking a small quantity of vitamin C does not cure the common cold. Take grams of vitamin C when inflicted with a cold over the course of each day until it goes. Take 1 gram every hour over the day. You may take more however if you get wind or loose stools reduce the intake until the symptoms go away. Taking just one 500 mg tablet is not enough – you will not cure a cold with small doses – this is what the drug companies did to discredit the healing power of vitamin C.
The same as for colds above except you may have to take more vitamin C for longer. Take at least 1 gram, 1000mg per hour to begin with or else it will not work. You may take more however if you get wind or loose stools reduce the
intake until the symptoms go away. Taking just one 500 mg tablet is not enough – you will not cure the flu with small doses – this is what the drug companies did in their trials to discredit the healing power of vitamin C.
Healing of body tissues after surgery and accidents
The website orthomolecular.org provides a wealth of information about how taking vitamin C facilitates healing after surgery and accidental damage.
M.D.s have used vitamin C for many years to boost the immune system’s healing function and help patients recover quickly and fully from surgery and injuries sustained through accidents. There are complete clinical notes for patients detailing the use of vitamin C as a healing agent by M.Ds. . They reported very low rates of infections following surgery with the use of vitamin C for their patients.
Atherosclerosis is damage to the inner linings of arteries and veins. The diameter of the arteries and veins narrows causing high blood pressure and further damage to the inside wall of the arteries and veins. This is commonly referred to as cardiovascular disease.
One of the causes of atherosclerosis is a deficit of vitamin C. Without adequate supplies of vitamin C the body is unable to repair the smooth muscles and linings of the arteries. The body cannot make enough collagen which is an essential protein for the repair of muscles, arteries and veins.
Gum disease symptoms are :
– swollen and sore gums
– gums bleed easily
– receding gum lines
These symptoms are a sign of vitamin C deficit and the sign of mild scurvy due to a lack of vitamin C. Especially for smokers who have been found to be chronically short of vitamin C.
This is not just a symptom of poor dental hygiene but mostly a shortage of both vitamin C and vitamin B complex.
Chemotherapy and Radiation treatments
Vitamin C has been found to be very effective for reducing the awful side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatment for cancer.
People who supplemented with vitamin C whilst undertaking these therapies reported feeling less nauseous, did not suffer hair loss and felt less fatigued. Vitamin C helps the body cope with these toxic treatments and reduces the awful side effects.
It has also been found very effective for pain management.
Your skin needs the protein collagen to renew and retain its flexibility and elasticity. Supplementing with vitamin C increases the production of collagen by your body. Collagen is needed for good muscle, ligament, artery muscle and heart muscle health.
Take vitamin C to get rid of stretch marks after child birth.
Combine vitamin c plus vitamin E plus DMSO to heal scars and cuts. It is used by plastic surgeons in Europe to do scar free surgery. You can leave out the vitamin C at first if it stings too much – the skin will heal without puckering or leaving hard scar tissue.
How much vitamin C to take?
The practitioners of orthomolecular medicine recommend that a healthy person takes three 1000mg tablets of vitamin c per day spread over the day.
They stress the importance of taking it in divided doses over the course of a day to maintain a good level of vitamin C in the blood – referred to as the serum level of vitamin C.
If your are ill then your body will need more vitamin C to help your immune system to heal and repair damage to your body.
For a cold or the flu take one 1000 mg tablet per hour over the course of the day until the symptoms are gone. If you take too much you may experience gas or a loose stool – in this instance reduce the intake until the symptoms go away.
Either gastrointestinal wind or gas or a loose stool are the only side effects if you take too much vitamin C. If your experience this then take a little less until the symptoms go away. Note it is a good laxative in large amounts for constipation sufferers.
To learn more about effective doses of vitamin C one of the best books is
There are other great books listed in the bibliography below about the use of vitamin C to heal from disease and injury plus the great online resources at :
Wishing you good health and happiness.
Orthomolecular Medicine For Everyone :megavitamin therapeutics for Families and Physicians, A Hoffer M.D., PhD. , A.W.Saul PhD., Basic Health 2008
Vitamin C : The Real Story . Steve Hickey Ph.d, Andrew Saul Ph.d. Basic Health Publications, 2008
Doctor Yourself – Natural Healing That Works, Andrew W. Saul, Ph.d, Basic Health Publications, 2012
The Orthomolecular Treatment Of Chronic Disease ,edited by A W Saul, Basic Health Publications, 2014
The Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine., various articles concerning vitamins and nutrition –
Niacin The Real Story, A.Hoffer M.D. Ph.D, A.W.Saul Ph.D, H.D. Foster Ph.d, Basic Health, 2012
How to Live Longer and Feel Better, Linus Pauling, Nobel Prize Winner [ the only person to win 2 Nobel Prizes ], Oregan State University Press, 2006