The truth is that conventional medicine and pharmaceutical drugs have not been effective at alleviating the pain and suffering caused by chronic fatigue syndrome [ CFS ] and fibromyalgia.
These two diseases are often linked by sharing symptoms and also responding to the same natural healing protocols.
This article will look at eliminating causes of these diseases and recommend natural healing protocols that have been found to alleviate the symptoms and in instances cause the diseases to go into remission – the symptoms reduce and disappear.
The remedies and procedures are based upon orthomolecular medicine, proper hydration, allergy identification and diet modification plus moving to a diet free of simple carbohydrates – a diet free of sugar, products made from white flour and products containing chemicals and additives.
Products made with wheat and or dairy products are the most common foods that cause allergies/allergic reactions.
Health Issues with the same or similar symptoms as CFS and Fibromyalgia
Get a comprehensive medical examination and blood tests
There are many diseases that cause fatigue, depression and joint and muscle pain. You may not have CFS or Fibromyalgia but some other health issue. The purpose is to eliminate or identify causes of the symptoms. Have the necessary medical exams to eliminate other diseases.
Consuming foods to which you are allergic can cause symptoms similar to CFS or Fibromyalgia. There are allergy tests which are not always effective and there is an elimination diet process.
Start with eliminating the common allergens from your diet – foods containing wheat and dairy products. See how you feel after two weeks free of these foods. This is a process you can easily control with your nutrition choices and elimination of allergy causing foods transforms lives – people feel much better and restore energy levels.
This occurs when the thyroid gland cannot produce sufficient thyroid hormone for the body to function properly. The thyroid hormone is needed by all body cells to function properly. The symptoms are chronic fatigue and depression.
This problem is often misdiagnosed as depression or some other autoimmune disease. Some doctors do not test for this problem and dish out anti-depressants instead.
Read the book entitled : Thyroid Power : 10 steps to total health, written by R.L. Shames M.D. and K.H. Shames, R.N., PhD., Harper Collins, 2002
The authors also have a website thyroid power.com where you can learn more about this condition.
Note that there are different manifestations of this problem. It can be sub-clinical whereby it manifests as ongoing tiredness and low level depression or it can be fully present with the symptoms of severe fatigue and or depression.
There are some nasty viruses which causes symptoms similar to CFS and fibromyalgia.
Lymes disease is but one of many.
If you contract a virus it may damage your body and cause either CFS symptoms or fibromyalgia symptoms. This should be part of your medical examination to check for viral infections and eliminate them as a cause of your symptoms.
PTSD and other severe stress scenarios
A highly stressful experience and or ongoing levels of high stress can cause fatigue and depression. Do a life check and acknowledge if you fit this description.
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome has the symptoms of fatigue, depression and anxiety.
Ongoing high levels of stress will overload your body with adrenaline leading to exhaustion, anxiety and depression. Burnout is total exhaustion from stress.
Iron Deficit – Anaemia
If you are in an iron deficit situation then you will have a low red blood cell count. This causes fatigue plus other issues. The problem is more common for women however as people age it can apply to both sexes. The cause is usually not enough useable iron in your diet. Vegetarians and vegans can be more susceptible to an iron deficiency. A blood test will quickly determine if your fatigues is due to an iron deficit.
Supplementing with iron usually quickly resolves this problem. It is not uncommon in teenagers who are growing rapidly and need extra iron , calcium and magnesium to support their rapid growth – plus one multivitamin daily.
More on this later however save yourself by removing yourself from the causes of the stress – take action to restore your health.
Diseases Of Malnutrition – acknowledged by the medical profession and the government. Verified by science
- Pellagra – symptoms start with fatigue and depression and can grow to dermatitis, diarrhea, psychosis, dementia and death. The cause is a deficit of the B vitamins and iron
- Arthritis – joint pain and swelling and loss of bone mass. Leads to fine and large fractures. Cause is a deficit of vitamin C, vitamin D and calcium and magnesium. Low energy, fatigue and depression are also symptoms.
- SAD – seasonal affective disorder or depression. Caused by a vitamin D deficit especially during the winter and spring. Depression and fatigue is a result of a vitamin D deficit plus loss of bone mass and arthritis.
- Scurvy – the body is unable to make collagen to repair itself. Loss of teeth, joint, function and bleeding via damaged arteries and blood vessels. This can be undiagnosed at first until the symptoms become worse. It initially is fatigue, pain and lack of energy. The cause is a deficit of vitamin C which prevents the body from repairing itself and in particular the manufacture of collagen – required for body repair and cell replacement.
- Rickets. A disease that affects children in the main. A deficit of vitamin D, vitamin B, magnesium and calcium causes fragile bones and deformation of the bones.
- Arrhythmia – uneven heart beat. A deficit of magnesium cause muscle spasms including the heart muscles. Magnesium is used by every cell in your body and a deficit causes ill health – cramps and leg twitches are a symptom along with irregular heart beat. This causes stress on the cardiovascular system and loss of flexibility in the smooth muscle of the arteries.
- Selenium is an important mineral. It’s necessary for many processes, A lack of selenium may cause
- hypothyroid syndrome – not enough thyroid hormone is produced for proper metabolism
- cell replacement requires selenium
- reproduction – causes infertility. Farmers provide it as a supplement to stock to avoid this serious issue.
- protection from infection – the immune systems needs this element to work effectively
- skin problems
- depression and fatigue.
- Zinc is another key element needed by all cells in the body to function well and a shortage often manifests as skin problems.
- Hypothyroidism. The thyroid gland can produce enough thyroid hormone for the body to remain healthy. Symptoms are fatigue, depression and goiter. Prolonged deficit of thyroid hormone leads to malfunction of the immune system and lack of protection against infections both viral and bacterial. This can be cured with additional iodine plus vitamin supplementation with C, B complex, D and multivitamin and mineral supplementation.
- Beriberi is a disease caused by a vitamin B-1 deficiency – thiamine deficiency. Beriberi affects the heart and circulatory system. Beriberi can cause heart failure.
- Dehydration. Most people do not drink enough water and are dehydrated. Without sufficient water the body cannot function properly and illnesses are the result. See the article on this site about proper hydration. Muscle and joint pains are one of the symptoms of dehydration.
- Gum disease. Painful, swollen and bleeding gums. This is caused by a deficit of vitamin C and vitamin B as well as poor dental care.
There is growing evidence that malnutrition – a deficit of key vitamins and minerals – is a cause of serious illnesses including the ones listed above which have been acknowledged by government medical authorities.
Research has discovered that the herpes virus has been found to be a factor in causing artery damage in animals and birds.
There is no doubt that when the body is malnourished it is more susceptible to infections [ both viral and bacterial] and suffers from physical damage to cells and organs and structure.
Oxidation is simply the effect of oxygen reacting with matter. In our bodies it affects all of our cells. Its part of living however it can be reduced by taking anti-oxidants – vitamin C is a proven anti-oxidant.
Exposure to toxic chemicals will cause fatigue and loss of energy. Review your life experience and get tested for this.
Exposure to lead and aluminum will poison your body.
Water supplies are sometimes contaminated and this can be a source of toxic metals and or chemicals.
The symptoms in common with CFS and fibromyalgia are anxiety and depression and fatigue. These can be caused by malnutrition – a deficit of key vitamins and minerals.
Due to all sorts of reasons. Working too hard and too long. Poor sleep cycles including sleep apnea. The cure is rest and removing the causes of the fatigue from your life.
Recommended natural healing products to alleviate CFS and fibromyalgia
3000 mg per day in divided doses. If you experience wind or loose stools then reduce it by 500 mg until your body adjusts.
Vitamin B complex
one B100 tablet per day
5 divided doses per day of 250 mg each. Take niacinamide to avoid flushing.
4 divided doses of 400 IU over the day
2 tablets per day of 400 IU each
up to 60 mg per day
in a citrate form – take 2@ 400 mg tablets per day
One multi-vitamin tablet per day – make sure it contains essential trace element.
Up to 200 mcg per day.
Jonathan Prousky in his book entitled :
The vitamin cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Basic Health, 2010
recommends several protocols for both CFS and fibromyalgia. I recommend his book and he has further great reference material throughout each chapter and at the end of the book.
The website orthomolecular.org is a great reference point for all matters of orthomolecular medicine
One other key element for you body to be healthy and well is to be properly hydrated. See this article about how to hydrate properly for good health. Drink at least six glasses of water per day – two before every meal. It has to be water and not tea or coffee or alcohol – the latter are diuretics and you will lose more liquid than you take in.
Also alcohol is a depressant and laden with sugar.
Wishing you good health and happiness
The vitamin cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, J.E.Prousky, M. Sc., N.D., Basic Health, 2010
orthomolecular.org – the International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine and News Service
Thyroid Power 10 Steps To Total Health, R.L. Shames, M.D., K.H. Shames PhD, Harper Collins, 2005
Doctor Yourself – Natural Healing That Works, pp372-374, AW Saul, Ph.d, Basic Health Publications,2013
Orthomolecular Medicine For Everyone – Megavitamin Therapeutics for Families and Physicians, A Hoffer, MD, PhD, A W Saul PhD, Basic Health Publications, 2008
The Orthomolecular Treatment Of Chronic Disease – 65 Experts on Therapeutic and Preventive Nutrition, A.W. Saul PhD editor, Basic Health Publications, 2014
Niacin The Real Story, A Hoffer, MD, PhD, A W Saul, PhD, H D Foster, PhD, Basic Health Publications, 2012
Your Body’s Many Cries For Water, F Batmangelidj, M.D., Global Health,2008
The Vitamin Cure For Depression, B.H. Jonsson, M.D., PhD, A. W. Saul PhD., Basic Health, 2012